Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Power of Words

Have you ever been told that you can't do something? Has anyone ever told you that you could do something? When I was younger my Dad used to tell me that if I really wanted something then I could have it. This was very confusing to me when I younger. But he explained to me that if I want something and I work hard enough to get it, then I will get it. Then later on in my life I met a woman who told me that it was too late for me to graduate high school because I had goofed off too much. Both of what was said to me stuck out in my memory and I will always carry them with me. But also when I younger, my Dad used to tell me that my art was very good and if I kept practicing that one day my work might even be good enough to sell and make commission off of. But I would frequently forget that and often times I stopped my art all together. It is not because I didn't believe him or because I didn't enjoy creating art. Because well, if you know me, then you know that one day I really do wish that I could be an artist. Later on in my life, much more previously than earlier statements I met someone who did not consider me an artist because my work was not what he considered to be real art. And I suppose that is what he was taught that art was. But that stuck with me almost as much as my fathers words did. (When he told me I can get/do anything I want). I think about it all the time so much to the point where I have changed my views on my artistic expressions, now I feel like nothing I do is good enough. All the things I used to be able to draw look pathetic. Except my cartoons,... but that is not art, that is just doodling.

So how powerful can words be? What determines their importance to us. Why do we choose to focus on some statements no matter how insignificant as opposed to others that have so much more value? Is it our insecurities taking charge? Is it our subconscious letting us know that what is being said is truth or fiction, or is that something we decide?

Again, if you know me then  you will also know that I think we choose our destiny and make our lives what they are,... in every aspect. So why do I build on some statements and let others brake me? Well, from this point on,... I choose not to. I will create my art! No matter how unprofessional (or even sometimes ugly) it may be!

So the next time your letting what someone said bring you down, ask yourself "why?!". Unless of course you are letting it effect you in a positive manner!

So goodnight, and good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment